Our program is a participant in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) from the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). All applicants to our program and all application materials must be submitted using ERAS. The program sponsors J-1 visas. International medical graduates (IMGs) can contact the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) for the application materials and should reference the information below for program requirements for IMGs. Each year, the program receives 1,000 applications from U.S. medical students and international medical graduates for our 10 first-year positions. Approximately 135 applicants are interviewed each year.
A completed ERAS application consists of the following:
- ERAS Common Application Form
- Personal Statement
- USMLE Scores (no minimum score)
- Three to four letters of recommendation (with one letter being from the Ob/Gyn Chair of your medical school, and 1 standardized letter of evaluation [SLOE])
- Official Transcript of Grades (from all medical schools attended)
In addition to the above requirements, graduates of international, non-LCME accredited medical schools, need to provide current, valid ECFMG certification and a program director letter of recommendation from the ACGME-accredited training program you completed as 1 year of ACMGE training, as is a mandatory pre-requisite; the program sponsors J-1 visas.
Timeline for Review and Interview Processes
The program will follow the recommended standards as set forth by APGO for the Obstetrics and Gynecology residency application and virtual interview processes. The Council on Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology (CREOG) and the Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics (APGO) recommend these specialty-wide standards for the 2023-2024 application cycle/2024 Match. These recommendations are based on data collected over past interview cycles, discussions at the CREOG retreats; CREOG and APGO meetings; the post-interview match debrief with program directors and managers; and survey feedback provided after these past interview cycles from applicants, program directors, program managers, clerkship directors, deans of student affairs, and the Right Resident, Right Program, Ready Day One project workgroups. The program is not participating in Altus Suite Assessments but will participate in the Signaling and Alignment Check Index (ACI). Applicant resources for the Right Resident, Right Program, Ready Day One Program can be found at APGO.
- October 1, 2023, is the deadline for receipt of ERAS application materials - the Admissions Committee will only review ERAS applications if ALL of the requested application materials are received by this date.
- Invitations will be extended to applicants starting on October 24, 2023. Applicants will be granted a 48-hour window to respond. Thereafter, rolling offers will be offered for any unfilled interview slots. These applicants will have 24 hours to respond.
- The program will limit the interview invitations to the number of released interview slots.
- Only the exact number of interview slots will be offered as the number of invited applicants.
- Interviews will be conducted virtually with more details below.
- All applicants will receive an email regarding their final status (interview, reject, waitlist) before December 1, 2023.
All interviews will be conducted virtually using the following platforms: Thalamus GME, Microsoft Teams, and Google Drive. The program will interview approximately 130 applicants which is a similar amount to the number of interviews that we conducted in previous years. Interviews will be conducted on weekdays. We hope that the vast offering of interview days will assist the applicant in maneuvering the virtual interview process. Interviews are by invitation only and are scheduled on the following dates:
|INTERVIEW DATES||ZOOM SOCIAL EVENTS|
|November-December 2023 TBD||TBD|
An Instagram Q&A event with the residents is scheduled for TBD. Please check out the Instagram page for more information and availability.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion & URiM Applicant Events
- The residency program will conduct a department-specific DE&I session for applicants on TBD (January 2024), from 6:45-7:45 pm.
- The UPMC GME office will conduct a UPMC Diversity URiM Recruitment Brunch from 1:00-2:30 pm on various Sundays during the interview season. Each session will consist of a welcome from UPMC GME leadership including Dr. Rickquel P.Tripp, Vice-Chair Diversity & Inclusion, UPMC GME, a video showcasing diversity in Pittsburgh, and two specialty breakout sessions, one with Doctor Parviainen the residency program director and department faculty, and the other one with the Ob/Gyn residents. These are by invitation only.
- Details for both events will be provided to applicants at the time that interviews are offered.
Communication with the Program
The UPMC Medical Education Obstetrics and Gynecology residency is committed to the integrity of the Match process. The program will not reach out to communicate with applicants during the application, interview, or ranking process. We welcome follow-up questions relating to our training program from interviewed applicants. Thank you notes and letters of intent are discouraged.
NRMP Match Participation Agreement (NRMP Program Code: 1652220C0)
In accordance with the NRMP's Match Participation Agreement for Applicants and Programs, the UPMC Medical Education Obstetrics and Gynecology residency training program makes the following documents available to all applicants. Applicants are encouraged to review these documents before their interview but should review them before submitting their Rank Order List:
Institutional Policy – Resident Recruitment, Eligibility, Selection, and Transfer
ACGME Board Speciality Information (Program Accreditation ID: 2204111258)
The ACGME is the accrediting agency for the UPMC Medical Education Obstetrics and Gynecology residency training program. It requires training programs to provide applicants with information about their eligibility for the relevant specialty board examination. In accordance with the ACGME requirement, you should review the information on Board eligibility on the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology's website.