Education & Training
- Fellowship, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholar, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Residency, University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- M.D., University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC, MsC Health and Healthcare Research, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Harris JA, Swenson C, Uppal S, Kamdar N, Mahnert N, As-Sanie S, Morgan DM. Practice patterns and postoperative complications before and after US Food and Drug Administration safety communication on power morcellation. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016 Jan; 214(1):98.e1-98.e13. PMID: 26314519.
- Uppal S, Harris J, Al-Niaimi A, Swenson CW, Pearlman MD, Reynolds RK, Kamdar N, Bazzi A, Campbell DA, Morgan DM. Prophylactic Antibiotic Choice and Risk of Surgical Site Infection After Hysterectomy. Obstet Gynec. 2016 Feb; 127(2):321-329. PMID: 26942361.
- Byhoff, E., Harris, J. A., Langa, K. M. and Iwashyna, T. J. (2016), Racial and Ethnic Differences in End-of-Life Medicare Expenditures. J Am Geriatr Soc. doi:10.1111/jgs.14263
- Harris JA, Byhoff ER. Variations by State in Physician Disciplinary Actions by US Medical Licensure Boards. BMJ Qual. Saf. 2016 Mar 23. PMID: 27009311
- Harris JA, Herrel LA, Healy MA, Wancata L, Perumalswami CR. Milestones for the Final Mile: Interspecialty Distinctions in Primary Palliative Care Skills Training. 2016 Jun 1. pii: S0885-3924(16)30117-8. PMID: 27260828
- Harris JA, Iott B, Power R, Moniz M, Griggs JJ. Obesity and the Receipt of Influenza and Pneumococcal Immunization: a Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. BMC Obesity 2016, 3(1):1-11. PMID: 27200179
- Byhoff E, Harris JA, Ayanian JZ. Characteristics of Decedents in Medicare Advantage and Traditional Medicare. JAMA Intern Med. 2016 Jul 1;176(7):1020-3. PMID: 27273237
Clinical Interests/Research Interests
Dr. Harris’s work has used traditional quantitative health services methodologies and national or regional secondary data to examine variations in healthcare systems for women. His previous work has variations in the use and outcomes related to various surgical methods and interventions in hysterectomy surgery. He is currently studying how patient obesity affects the healthcare system, and how patient obesity may be a factor is disparities in access to high quality healthcare, especially in long term care settings.