I am a urogynecologist and BIRCWH scholar at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and Magee-Womens Research Institute. I completed my fellowship at UPMC after residency at University of California, San Diego and I went to medical school at Washington University in St. Louis. I am a surgeon-scientist, focused on improving women’s lives through correcting problems with pelvic and bladder health. I use translational research to improve our treatment options, prevent complications and the need for retreatment, and begin to develop options for prevention of pelvic floor disorders.
Education & Training
- Fellowship, FPMRS, UPMC Medical Education
- Master of Science in Clinical Research, University of Pittsburgh
- Residency, Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of Californa San Diego
- Medical Education, Washington University School of Medicine
- Burkett LS, Makin J, Ackenbom M, Artsen AM, Bradley M. Validation of Transvaginal Hysterectomy Surgical Model – Modification of the Flowerpot Model to Improve Vesicovaginal Plane Simulation. Accepted for publication in Journal Minimally Invasive Gynenncology. Dec 2020.
- Sassani JC, Artsen AM, Grosse PJ, Baranski L, Kunkle L, Ackenbom MF. Preoperative Counseling Method and Postoperative Opioid Usage: A Secondary Analysis of the PREOP Study. Accepted for publication in Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery, Nov 2020.
- Artsen AM, Liang R, Meyn L, Rytel M, Palcsey S, Abramowitch S, Moalli PA. T Regulatory Cells and TGF-b1: Predictors of the Host Response in Mesh Complications. Acta Biomaterialia. 2020 Oct; 115:127-135.
- Sassani JC, Artsen AM, Moalli PA, Bradley MS. Temporal Trends of Urogynecologic Mesh Reports to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Obstet Gynecol. 2020 May; 135(5): 1084-1090.
- Knight KM, Artsen AM, Routzong MR, King GE, Palcsey SL, Abramowitch SD, Moalli PM. New Zealand White Rabbit: A Novel Model for Prolapse Mesh Implantation via a Lumbar-colpopexy. Int Urogynecol J. 2020 Jan; 31(1):91-99.
- Artsen AM, Rytel M, Liang R, King GE, Meyn L, Abramowitch S, Moalli PA. Mesh induced fibrosis: the protective role of T regulatory cells. Acta Biomaterialia. 2019 Sep; 96:203-210.
- Stewart AM, Cook,MS, Dyer KY, Alperin M. Structure-Function Relationship of Human External Anal Sphincter. Int Urogynecol J. 2018 May;29(5):673-678.
- Stewart AM, Cook, MS, Lawley DM, Slayden R. Leiber L, Alperin M. Architectural Assessment of Rhesus Macaque Pelvic Floor Muscles: Comparison For Use As A Human Model. Int Urogynecol J. 2017 Oct;28(10):1527-1535.
- Stewart AM, Macones GA, Odibo AO, Colvin R, Cahill AG. Changes in Fetal Heart Tracing Characteristics after Magnesium Exposure. Am J Perinatol. 31(10):869-74, 2014 Nov.
- Grant K, Stewart AM, Song J, Windus D. Factors affecting the availability and cost of foodstuffs in the Republic of the Marshall Islands. Pac J. Med. Sci. 10(2): 16-27, 2012 Nov.
- Zhan Y, Abi Saab WF, Modi N, Stewart AM, Liu J, Chadee DN. Mixed lineage kinase 3 is required for matrix metalloproteinase expression and invasion in ovarian cancer cells. Exp Cell Res 318(14): 1641-8, 2012 Aug.
- Zhan Y, Modi N, Stewart AM, Hieronimus RI, Liu J, Gutmann DH, Chadee DN. Regulation of mixed lineage kinase 3 is required for Neurofibromatosis-2-mediated growth suppression in human cancer. Oncogene 17;30(7):781-9, 2011 Feb.
Clinical/Research Interest Summary
Clinical Interests/Research Interests
My clinical interests include pelvic organ prolapse, urinary incontinence, minimally invasive urogynecologic surgery, female pelvic reconstruction, recovery after childbirth and childbirth injury, recurrent UTI, and bladder and pelvic pain.
My research interests include the host response to biomaterials, novel pelvic organ prolapse treatment modalities, recovery after childbirth, and pathophysiology of pelvic floor disorders.
2020 Building Interdisciplinary Research Careers in Women’s Health Scholar. K12HD043441 (PI: Y Sadovsky, PD: M McNeill)
2018 PA State Tobacco Grant, $120,000; Mesh Biorepository Study: Insight into the Pathogenesis of Mesh Complications
2017 University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Master of Science in Clinical Research Scholarship
2015 SUFU Research Foundation Grant for the Study of Overactive Bladder and Fecal Incontinence, $7,500, Functional Significance of Human External Anal Sphincter Architecture
2010 Procter & Gamble Social Change Grant, $5000, Diabetes education in the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI)
2010 Arnold P. Gold Foundation 2010 Student Summer Fellowship, $4000, Diabetes education in the RMI