Division Director - Dr. Joseph Kelley
The Division of Gynecologic Oncology is committed to providing comprehensive and compassionate medical and surgical care to women afflicted with breast and gynecologic malignancies throughout the course of their treatment. Our team of gynecologic oncologists and doctoral researchers is dedicated to enhancing care through the use of basic science, translational and clinical research, by educating the next generation of healthcare providers, and through advocacy for awareness of women’s cancer.
Our core group of clinical providers is based at Magee-Women’s Hospital of UPMC and provides outreach services throughout South Western Pennsylvania. The Division’s faculty members actively strive to innovate in the management of our patients, while developing and employing clinical pathways of care to deliver consistent, state-of-the-art treatment within all our core facilities:
- Application of minimally invasive surgical techniques to include laparoscopic and robotic assisted techniques during surgeries for patients afflicted with endometrial cancer, early stage cervical and ovarian cancer.
- Incorporation of sentinel mapping in treatment of breast, cervical, endometrial and vulvar cancer.
- Provision of clinical trials to improve the outcome of our patients
- Phase II and III trials are centered at Magee Womens Hospital and are active throughout the UPMC Cancer Network.
- Clinical trials are available from the NRG Oncology Cooperative Group. NRG Oncology brings together the unique and complementary research areas of the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project (NSABP), the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG), and the Gynecologic Oncology Group (GOG).
- In addition, there are also industry supported and investigator-initiated trials spearheaded by our faculty.
- Integration of palliative care to help improve quality of life during course of treatment.
Our Division’s multidisciplinary approach to delivering exceptional, evidence-based care is bolstered through our fostering of various clinical, research and advocacy partnerships throughout our system, including:
- Synergizing our efforts with that of specialists in the Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility for fertility preservation in patients.
- Teaming with experts at UPMC’s Center for Integrated Medicine to complement the traditional clinical care we provide with holistic and natural therapies.
- Working closely with the medical oncology group at the Hillman Cancer Center to provide access to cutting edge phase I trials.
- Collaborating with an exceptional team of basic and bench scientists at Magee Womens Research Institute to impact research efforts, which not only advance scientific knowledge, but aim to engender findings that can be swiftly applied to the clinical care we provide.
- Partnering with the Magee Womens Research Institute Foundation to raise awareness of women’s cancer issues within our local community.
For patient referrals, please contact UPMC’s MedCall service at 412-647-7000 or 1-800-544-2500.